Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wk 25: Gi-Hoveg



Gi-Hoveg (The Aether Anemone) is a cosmic entity manifesting as a gigantic spongy and fleshy mass covered in myriads of eyes and spines. It is said to be the archenemy of the Outer God Uvhash, usually summoned to contrast this deity.
Sadly, I know next to nothing about Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos.  So I jumped into wikipedia, read the short descriptions on each (pasted above) and picked one I liked.  In an effort to catch up on Rust Belt projects, I wanted to do a simple drawing in ink and marker.  While I enjoyed the inking process, I constantly forget about the unwieldy nature of the Copic marker.  The way each little dab soaks up the paper and spreads 3 times farther than you intended requires a level of anticipation that I don't have yet.  Its just really hard for me to get any fine detail, but it might not be designed for that.  Maybe next time I'll just work bigger.

3 comments:

  1. Great job.....the thing I do with markers. Especially grey tones, is work from lighter to dark. Always easier to go darker than to try and lighten what's already to dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I did. I just think I was working too small. Who knows. I just need more practice. I'm convinced there is a world of markery goodness out there waiting for me.

      Delete
  2. I start at 10% ....and work my way up. I believe as well dude. Still a damn good job.

    ReplyDelete