Saturday, February 11, 2012

Week 5: You look like you could use some surgery


When I should be watching the news and learning about world events I tend to watch a fair amount of cartoons. This character comes from a cartoon called, "The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack" which is unfortunately no longer on. The show follows Flapjack and Captain K'nuckles in their search for the fabled Candy Island but more often than not they goofed around the town of Stormalong, a town build on a pier. Sure, as I am typing this all out it sounds less entertaining and more kiddy show but hang in there. Stormalong's resident Barber/ Surgeon / closet Dr. Frankenstein/ barbershop quartet member, Dr. Barber was there to occasionally bring the show back to the absurdly menacing. Check out this clip, (I think what adds to the clip is that it's someone filming their tv. Gives it some good creep.)

The image was drawn on toned paper that streaked and splattered with bleach, toned with watercolor and then splattered again with ink.

8 comments:

  1. What're you using for those white highlights? I love em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good god...I couldn't love this anymore. By far perhaps my fav from you. I want to dry hump my keyboard. The textures...the blood splatter...I got nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. The highlights are a combination of bleach and verithin colored pencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was your working size on this?

      Delete
    2. And I'd love to discuss technique with you...really dig this...uhm...industrial feel or quality this puts off.

      Delete
  4. The texture! Oh the TEXTURES! Great job on this. And extra points for the crazy obscureness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ben! Jim, the working size is 10"X16.5". I'd be more than happy to discuss this technique with you. If I can remember it I can bring this and maybe another couple of pieces on Sunday. It's really easy and a really smelly way to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vrey cool...and creepy, I love disturbing cartoons.

    ReplyDelete