Monday, February 6, 2012

The Banana Splits..errr The Banana Bunch


I grew up watching The Banana Splits. Every Saturday morning I'd huddle in front of the t.v., bowl of Captain Crunch or Quisp cereal..and this was the show. It was pretty much just quick gags..Four guys..or gals...dressed in animal outfits doing an hour long variety show. The show consisted of the four anthropomorphic musicians playing rock music, running into walls..or each other, being smacked, hit with mallets or punched by unknown assailants, (Although their arch nemesis The Sour Grape Bunch was usually behind it.) Along with this were quick cartoons and live action adventure shorts...Danger Island, The Three Musketeers, Arabian Nights and a slew of others. Fleegle, Drooper, Bingo and Snork...
As with all good rock bands...I've always envisioned them slipping into typical rockstar...habits. The band still together.
You can get a gander at the inks over at my blog..http://www.chelzostudios.com/

5 comments:

  1. Great job. You were even able to capture the high energy of the show. I can even hear the theme song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed Roth and the Banana Splits, like chocolate and peanut butter. Looks like an illustration from the period. I always wanted to go to the Amusement Park they hung out at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was watching this as a child right around the same time my friends and I were collecting Ratfink stickers. Hence the suped up motoracer.

      Delete
  3. Ben hit it right on the head with his comment, the kinetic energy in this piece is insane! I love it.

    ReplyDelete