Saturday, February 25, 2012

Week 6: The Crow..final


I wanted to experiment with this one...especially after picking fellow monster, Craigs brain during Art Club. This is pen and ink, masking fluid, ink washes and a bit of white acrylic and white paint marker. The background however was an experiment. Craig had mentioned working with bleach..so I did attempt it here. I had splashed and brushed the bleach on..but it did not seem to have any affect on the inks. That was until I took a sanding block to it....this was the end result.
I chose a background story for the character. After seeing numerous times in the news of young kids getting killed for sports jackets and tennis shoes. So I combined that premise of story along with my love for Forrest Whitaker in Ghost Dog. If you head to my blog...http://www.chelzostudios.com/..you can check the sketches.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Nice mood, the texture is incredible, and the and I love the depth of field. Definitely raised the bar with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben. It's be more impressive if I had turned this in on time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn I thought this image was only going to be the portrait shot to find out it was merely a fraction! Excellent job, Ghost Dog and the Crow I would love to see that movie! So how big is this piece? I ask because it looks like it would be way larger than my scanner bed which makes me wonder how you get your art into the computer so well? Scan in pieces? Photo? Either way I'd love a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig, Forrest Whitaker is fantastic.....and Ghost Dog has to be one of his best films. Hands down. This measured at 11x14 I believe. I have an 11x17 flatbed I got as a Christmas gift. Just a basic Mustek that I've used for comic book work. Most of the stuff I scanned was ink work. Which it's great for.... Color work not so much. And as a side note, bleach does not affect ink....at least not right away.

    ReplyDelete