Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 3: Galactus Is Hungry

So I can admit it, while I really enjoy Marvel, I've always been more of a DC guy.  Having said that, the only real knowledge I have of Galactus is that he is a devourer of worlds.  And that's pretty much all I had as for a jumping off point.  When I first started sketching him, I kept it pretty close to my normal "animation" style.  The farther along I went, the more I realized what a complex character he is design wise.  I eventually got really fond of all the little details and the rim lighting that I've recently become obsessed with.  I'm still looking for a good way to achieve the marker and colored pencil look that I love so much while still only working in digital medium.  I'm sure I'll figure something out.  Hope you like.

-Ben
Personal Blog: Still-Reaching
Twitter: NeedYourDisease

9 comments:

  1. What! I can't believe you're done already. I've had just enough time to go, "galactus... huh?" and you did a freakin badass drawing. This is my fav from you so far. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was able to start it on Sunday. Its way easier when the topic is a pre-existing character. The "make something up" topics are really difficult.

      Delete
  2. Hell yes! Great work Ben! Plan on explaining coloring at art club to me next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm flattered you think I'm any good. I kind of like its sloppiness. I'm still trying to get that marker look without using markers. Not sure how successful I am. If I had any advice to give is to paint your flat colors on a separate layer than your inks. That way, I just use the wand tool to select any one section of color, then create a "Shadow" layer and start drawing on that. The Rim lighting is sitting on top of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, Ben. That demigod looks hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, it's the rim lighting I don't get. Also, how long are you spending on colors?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spend probably about an hour on colors. The rim lighting is sitting on top of the lines. I use a transparent brush so I can get different levels of intensity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I'm a little embarrassed how much this piece made me chuckle, Galactus's smile is killing me, I love it, and the rendering totally suits the content, Great job Ben.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking at it again, I think I had a little bit of a Jim Davis-Garfield smile thing going on. Weird how those things subliminally get in there.

      Delete