Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Week 6: Craig's Crow


I know just enough about this character to get me in trouble with people who really know him. I must admit that most of my knowledge comes from the Jason Lee movie peppered with some art I've seen over the years. Happily researching The Crow and doing the piece has turned me into an admirer. I think the Crow taps into the same vein that appreciates other justice bringers like Batman or Ghost Rider while allowing you to empathize with a truly pained character. Sure it's all sorts of Goth and Emo but it's good Goth and Emo.
I've learned a lot with this piece. Friskett will resist bleach, you can use a hair dryer when your toned paper is being bleached and xylene transfer does not work on cold press, toned paper that well. Perhaps the easiest thing to learn is that the combined smells of Clorox and Xylene gives you a pretty good headache. My intention is this was to be all traditional, mixed media but once the transfer didn't take it quickly got thrown into Photoshop. So it's a pencil drawing on top of a bleached toned paper moon with the rest of the colors in Photoshop. If you would like to see the drawing before anything happened to it check it out here.

7 comments:

  1. This is my favorite piece from you. The the way the crow mixes with the hair, the splotches on the moon looking like craters, and the attention to anatomy are just a lot of fun to look at. Great job. Really makes me want to work on mine. Thanks for the walking us through the process too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a really smart illustrator, Craig. That's not championed enough. The hair/crow blend is a really great example of just how clever you consistently are. Your technique ain't shabby either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks that really means a lot. An old friend I met in Art school once told me, "I'm as good as the people I surround myself with." In many ways it's true and that want to keep getting better is one of the many reasons I hang out with you guys.

      Delete
  3. Nailed it. Just so you guys know I did drop by Mr.O'Barrs FB page and invited him to watch as we all posted for this topic...Criders right. Your talent for adding that emotional strength to every piece consistently...for me that speaks volumes. I feel honored to be standing shoulder to shoulder with you lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cripes! Never thought there would be a chance a creator of one of these characters would see any of this. Someone post something quick!

      Thanks Jim.

      Seriously though thanks for the kind words.

      Delete