Thursday, March 21, 2013

Round 36: I Hung My Head


When I think of Johnny Cash I think about the Johnny Cash I was introduced to when I was a kid.  The Johnny Cash who use to show up on "Little House on the Prairie",  "Hee-Haw" and any other show that had horses and cowboy hats on it in the late 70's early 80's.  He was the guy with the deep voice, always wore black and when I was really young I thought he had something to do with Abraham Lincoln so I couldn't help but pay attention to him.  My Grandad liked him, my Mom liked him, Aunts, Uncles, everybody and regardless of any music fascinations that popped up as I got older, I liked him and the older I get the more I like him.
This piece is inspired by his remake of Sting's "I Hung My Head" which like his remake of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" he did WAY better than the original, the record covers I grew up with and Johnny Cash from the late 70's early 80's.  Graphite, toned paper, bleach and Photoshop to finish it up.

If you haven't heard his version you can check it out here.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I had no idea that song was a Sting cover, I can't imagine someone other then Cash signing it.

    Great drawing, I love the colors, and the album cover idea is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah once you hear Cash sing it it's hard to imagine the Sting version.

      Delete