Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ben: Character Updates

I've had so much fun doing the birthday caricatures of my friends that I thought I would try the same on myself. To up the challenge, not that my "unconventional" head shape isn't enough, I decided to 
do a model-sheet style turn around.  Boy, was that not fun.

At the same time, I've been doing a redesign on my superhero character.  I'd gotten enough comments about it resembling other superheroes and the character art being too small, that I decided that a redesign was in order.  I always knew that I wanted some kind of medieval connection to the character so I started pushing in that direction.
After I had the new design locked down.  I started to play with character color variations.  I stayed pretty close to the original Blue and Orange, but muted it and added some armor.









Next up was building the character in Toon Boom Animate Pro.  From there, I was able to play with the line weight until I found one that would look good once shrunk down.  I've always wanted that retro- arcade look, even though the character is probably way bigger in resolution than any of those other games were.


The other benefit to working in Animate Pro, is that I can use bones and symbols to simulate animation without having to redraw everything.  Hopefully, it will cut down on a lot of the time I'll spend creating the animations.  Below is a quick test (definitely not final animation).

That's all for now.  If you'd like to see more updates as I they happen, visit my blog at www.NeedYourDisease.com or follow me on twitter at NeedYourDisease

-Ben Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment