Thursday, January 17, 2013

2013: Year of the stern beardie man

drawn with China marker


Inspired by the art of Jason Shawn Alexander and his post surgery undertaking to relearn to draw with his non dominant hand after temporarily losing use of his dominant a few of us here at the RBMC have decided to give our off hands a workout.  I am left handed and to draw with my right was absolutely jarring.  It was all I could do to stop myself from switching back to my left.  It felt like I was straining both my hand and my brain.  This all being said I think I am going to do this more often, it gets a lot of little short cut "ticks" out of the way when you are pushing your brain and off hand to do something exceedingly different.  It's like it pushed me to make clearer decisions from what I was seeing rather than the comfy, easy chair of stuff I have learned are there.  I think the strangest thing is it was difficult to get my values, dark darks were hard to get with the pencil in the wrong hand.
All in all it was a great exercise, give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment