Friday, June 28, 2013

Pencils and inks....

Morning peoples. It's me Rev. Jim. This week I thought I'd share some pencils and final inks from the Darkhorse book, Once Upon a Time Macine, I had the chance to be a part of last year. When I first started working in comics I initially lacked the confidence to ink over my original pencils. So I would scan them into my computer and using PS, convert the line work to non photo blue, and then print them on boards and ink them. You can see some of the results if you go to Drunk Duck.com and look for my early webcomic Soul Driver. 
Since then....I became confident enough that I now work directly over my pencils. There seems to be a sense of spontaneity that occurs compared to working over the blue line. I think it has to do with the fact that I can see my structure lines....and some of those lines give me a few directions to go. As I worked before, most of those lines would become almost invisible. Below are the original pencils for the opening sequence of The Cowherd and Weaver Girl story. I was after a swooping effect of Kai the crow as he flew over the wreckage of the age old war between man and machines


This is more apparent in the final inks, as your eye can follow the dark shape of Kai as it moves from panel to panel.


Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking.



No comments:

Post a Comment